I wanted to share pieces of my story, a bit of silliness, and my crafting creations. I'll be jumping from past, to present, to future. I hope you enjoy it!

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Beginning ...Part 2

Growing up in Queens was not your average experience for a typical middle class kid!  At the time I didn't realize it was any different. I went to public school with every kind of person under the sun, Jewish, Greek, Armenian, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Colombian, Indian, Black...you name it! In elementary school, I knew phrases in Japanese, Chinese, and Croatian. I even went to goya dances at the local Greek church with my friends. The elementary, magnet school (specialized in one area of study) taught me more than some private schools!


Then it all changed by HS. I wanted to apply for schools like, Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn tech. Yeah, I'm kind of smart.  But mother knows best! I was sent to a private catholic school. I'm grateful that my family could afford it, but it was culture shock! I now went to school with mostly white kids. There were only 2 black kids in the entire school at the time...WTF?!

Teenage years were a trip & you couldn't pay me to be one again!!! But those stories are for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment